4.13.2011

Love-Hate Wednesday: The banjo edition

Happy Wednesday!

The sun is shining! The birds are singing! Life is beautiful. Unless....
You happen to be a student in the middle of exams... like Luke.

Luke, my darling, is in the thick of final exams for his first year of engineering. He has physics and statics already under his belt, and calculus (horrors), materials, design and programming yet to come. Have I mentioned I'm so so SO happy I studied English?

This time 4 years ago I was reading this: 

I heard a thousand blended notes,
While in a grove I sate reclined,
In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind.

And Luke, 4 years later, is reading this:

As t increases, the particle moves along a path, a curve C in 3- space... :|

If only we could build bridges out of Wordsworth. Hrmm....we'll work on that.

In the meantime, Luke's evenings are FULL of studying which means they are EMPTY of Jennie. A major problem worthy of my hating.

I am coping, however. I have rented Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Green Gables the sequel, I have removed the winter-worn Twinkie wrappers and beer cans from my garden (yes, we live in that kind of neighbourhood), I have encouraged Judah not to write on the walls, I have cleaned the fridge, I have finished two novels (reading them, not writing- I don't have that much free time), I have lost several staring contests with the cat  and I have gone to bed by 10 pm for the better part of two weeks. I'm a regular party animal.

Soon and very soon the exam season will be done. London will empty of the majority of its ugg- wearing blondes and Rayban- wearing jocks. The streets will be rid of the season's last crimson sprinkling of  beer cups. And I will have my Luke back. I cannot wait!

Now for a little bit of love! We planted our seeds about two weeks ago and Judah and I have been diligently sunning them, rotating them, watering them and talking to them. The other morning I came into the bathroom to find Judah filling his watering can in the toilet and dousing the tomato plants. Yum! That must have been the special touch they needed because all of our plants are growing like banshees (yes, you can use banshees in numerous un-banshee related contexts).

And a final love for the week- the banjo playing, folk song whiz that is Old Man Luedecke. I saw Old Man Luedecke in a show at Hugh's Room in November and I've been an ardent fan ever since. This week Luke and I have both had a Luedecke ear worm. Mine is this song, In the Beginning, which I love, and have claimed as our current "song". Luke's is this one, Little Bird, which he initially found hilarious because he thought the subject was something akin to Paradise by the Dashboard Light and not and environmental anthem...but there you go.

Happy listening and happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. "If only we could build bridges out of Wordsworth." - Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for my garden... i've got lettuce and arugula and mustard greens in here... planted pepper and tomato today... just have to make room in the garden for them now!!! Yay summer!!

    ReplyDelete